Friday 18 February 2011

Struggling with Kipling...

So, I got let out of work earlier than expected today, and it was one of those days that's really gorgeous and sunny, but absolutely freezing - perfect reading weather! Too cold to be outside but bright enough to flood my living room with light. My intention was to curl up in my awesome armchair that I got off of ebay for 99p, and finally finish 'The Man who Would be King and Other Stories' by Rudyard Kipling.
awesome 99p armchair!    

Apparently, this just was not to be. I am finding this book very hard to finish, and I'm really not sure why, as I don't dislike it. I'm actually enjoying it. He has a great way of portraying characters just at the moment they realise that they are not, actually, the pinnacle without which society cannot survive. His social commentary is really quite witty, and stylistically he reminds me a lot of E.M Forster, whose work I love. It's a total mystery to me why this book (and just as an aside, it's only 200 pages long, which fact only increases my frustration!) is taking so long to get through. In fact, I haven't even got to 'The Man who Would be King' yet! Every time I sit down to read it, I remember something else I have to do, or another book I really want to read, or a post (like this....) I really must write. It's driving me crazy!
Since writing this post, I have practically finished one other book, and read half of yet another. Neither of them are by Kipling...

Has anybody else had this problem? Any clues as to why it is this happens?   

3 comments:

  1. I can't think of an explanation either. Maybe you like Rudyard Kipling's collection of short stories, but there are other books in your TBR pile that you love... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's probably what it is... Just at the moment i'm having one of those moments where i.'m finding soooo much stuff I want to read! I will finish the book though,i'm determined!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, I had the same issue with the last book I read. It was only 275 or so pages and I was slogging through it. The pace was quite slow so I think that explains it. I've breezed through much longer books because the plot moves faster than molasses :D

    ReplyDelete